Your question, how do I speed up my computer? You get frustrated when your computer is very slow. You can now save yourself from aggravation especially when you are very busy working. I will show you 15 steps to do to speed up your computer.
Let me enumerate them: As I have also mentioned on my previous articles
1. Defrag your computer at least once every two weeks (I do it once a week). Go to start> accessories> system tools> disk defragmenter. You can click on "analyze" first before you choose defrag, it will tell you if you need to defrag. Just defrag it even if it reports you do not need to.
2. Do Disk Clean Up at least once every two weeks (again, I do this once a week). Go to start> accessories> system tools> disk clean up. It will analyze your disk and will generate reports. I suggest you delete files from the recycle bin and the files located in the temporary files folder. Note: I avoid compressing files. It's your call.
3. Clean up your program files, delete and uninstall unwanted programs on your computer. Go to control panel> add remove programs. Make sure you restart your computer after uninstalling or removing the program so that complete deletion will take place.
4. Delete all files (temporary files and cookies from the computer). Here's how: open a browser. On top of the browser click on tools> internet options> delete files and then delete cookies. Make your history set to (0). Others wants it on at least 10. I always set mine to (0).
5. You have to be very careful in installing or downloading programs. Make sure you need it, if not please just avoid it. Uninstalling them is really hard. Many vendors have all the power to have their program stay in your computer!
6. Always turn on your firewall. I suggest you have only one firewall and one anti virus. You get less safer if you have two anti virus running (I know people who likes to have two anti virus programs running on their computer, I do not know why.)
7. Run anti-spyware programs. I trust spybot, search and destroy and the adware from Lavasoft. I run SD every week, I do immunize them before I do the end program to run. I run adware every week too after I run spybot search and destroy.
8. Run complete scan using your antivirus software at least everyday (some do it once a week). Mine is scheduled at 3:00 am everyday.
9. Avoid multi-tasking too much! Meaning to say, avoid opening too many programs all at the same time running at the task bar.
10. I also suggest you get a dual hard drive (which I know is now common in the market), one for the operating system only and the other for all programs, database and files. This way, the computer boots on one hard drive.
11. Also check the performance of your computer when …