The best place to begin is always going to be the same. Yes, its at the beginning.
So what does being a novice internet marketer mean? It usually means you've got a small or non-existing list or customer base, a product that is either yours or that you're an affiliate for, that is not doing much for you but the surest, and truest measure of all is that you're likely to be making little or no money.
Money talks, everything else walks. For a thorough diagnosis of why you're a novice, the most important thing to do, is to look to what you're doing right now. Start making a note of what you're doing consistently to get what you want. To hit the goals that you need to hit to become recognizable (at least to yourself), as a master internet marketer.
Here's a few questions that you could ask yourself –
1) How many articles are put in the article directories? Are you paying attention to the needs and needs of your target market, and hitting this in your articles? How many articles would a master internet marketer have online, and how quickly can you do this?
Remember, rarely do you have to do it all yourself, get some leverage either by outsourcing your articles, or repurposing your content to hit that critical mass,
2) How often are you checking in on your pay per click account? Are you over or underpaying? Are you getting traffic. As Matt Bacak says you do not have to get it right, you just have to get it going, but do not forget that getting it going is great, but if you're interested in making money, then never forget the fortune is in the follow up.
The ability to get the job done, to execute, to tweak, and tweak and retweak is where the money's at.
3) How clean are your systems? Have you thought your sales process through from front to back, and from back to front, and from front to back again. Is it working? How do you know? Are you measuring?
As the direct marketing genius Dan Kennedy relates often the most important piece of the making
the sale jigsaw is getting out of your own way.
4) Are you utilizing the phenomenal power of momentum in your business? Basically this means setting small achievable goals and accomplishing them as quickly as you can. Getting it going. By consistently doing this you'll become unstoppable.
5) Are you focused? You've got sixty seconds, can you tell me what you want to achieve in your internet marketing business? If you can excellent, if you can not answer this – five years from today what singular thing do you want to have done or completed in your business?
Pretty simple – yeah? But simple does not necessarily mean easy, or does it?