One of the biggest challenges small businesses face is using their limited marketing dollars in a way that will bring the best results. Luckily for online businesses like an online baby boutique or web-based jewelry shop, marketing a business online does not cost much when done right. After helping other companies with social media marketing and running my own successful online boutique, I have learned a few online marketing tricks that I want to share with you. In this article you will discover how to get the most out of your marketing dollars as well as how to turn your customers into brand ambassadors.
- Focus on SEO. One of the most important marketing decisions you can make is investing into your website's SEO (Search Engine Optimization). However, beware of SEO companies that promise quick results and focus primarily on link building. Before hiring a company, do some SEO work yourself. First, do your research. What search terms do your potential customers use when looking for your products? What search terms do your competitors rank for? Second, work on your onsite SEO. Optimize meta data. Write good quality content that includes search terms you want to rank for, lots and lots of good quality content. Develop internal links between the pages of your website. Optimize images and videos for search engines. Finally, start the groundwork for your offsite SEO by developing relationships with bloggers and social media influencers to earn quality links from reputable websites.
- Learn how your customers use social media and the web. To get the most out of your marketing efforts, you need to understand how your potential customers look for your products and where they like to hang out and socialize. For example, if you sell boutique girls clothing, looks for kids fashion forums, parenting Facebook groups and discussion boards for moms. Which social media platform do they use the most? What kind of content do they prefer? Getting answers to these two questions will allow you to deliver content that has the most effect on your potential customers through social media channels that they use the most.
- Separate your potential customers into niches and appeal to each niche separately. If your website sells car parts, you can separate your customers into performance, classic or luxury car enthusiasts. An online boutique offering kids clothing, can appeal based on occasion (weddings, birthdays, first communions, etc.) or based on the age of a child (boutique baby clothes, boutique girls clothes , boutique clothes for teens). Each customer niche may have different needs and use social media differently.
- Turn your customers into ambassadors. Give your customers an incentive to promote your online boutique. Whether it is through a photo contest, giveaway or an affiliate program card, encouraging your customers to mention your online boutique on their blogs and share your content will ensure exposure to more potential customers at the minimum cost.
- Start a blog. Your blog is another great place to feature keyword-reach content, sharable images and videos, build links to your site as well as drive traffic to. Use your blog to the fullest by giving your online boutique a human face through personal posts. In addition to product and sale announcements, you can publish "behind the scenes' posts, feature your team members and share personal pics.
I hope these tips will help you get the most out of your marketing dollars and drive your online boutique or e-commerce business to success. Let me know if you have any questions and share your own tips and tricks!