On page SEO probably counts for about 10% of the necessary optimization and SEO that you need to do for each web page you create. But do not think that just because it is 10% that means you can do everything else and get 90% results – you will not. You see, on page SEO is important because it tells the search engines what your web site is about, so they can index it properly. It is the foundation. It is like the foundation – it is only 10% – but without it you have nothing.
So what are the important things about on SEO? Let me say this first. I think that people spend a lot of time doing a lot of things that do not really matter in the area of on page SEO. So I am just going to give you the things I think are really necessary.
1) Identify the one keyword phrase for which you want your web site to rank in the top ten search results. By the way, better to have one page in the top ten results than 20 in the next ten.
2) Put your keyword phrase in the title of your web page – preferably make it your title, with no additional words.
3) Put your keyword phrase in the description of your web site – start it with your keyword phrase, and use as few other words as possible.
4) Put your keyword phrase in your keywords with no more than 2 other keyword phrases.
5) Put your keyword phrase in bold, italics, and underlined once each on your web page.
6) Use your keyword phrase once in every paragraph in your web page, and use it at least once near the end of your web page.