To reach the top of major search engines, like Google, you'll need to focus on both on-page optimization and off-page optimization. These strategies ensure that your web pages are properly coded and that many third party websites are linking in. Make sure to develop your web pages with proper search engine optimization techniques. Once you've done so, focus on building links to your website. Links should be formatted properly and generated from high ranking websites (Google PR).
1. Begin with properly formatted Meta Tags. The meta tags, including your title tag, description tag, and keywords tag, are important for classifying your web page and communicating to the major search engines the content of your page. Although meta tags are not as important as they once were, they are used for many purposes including how your listing appears in search engine results lists.
2. Focus on keyword density. Are you trying to optimize for a particular keyword or keyword phrase? Keyword density is the concentration (as a percentage) of your keyword phrase on a particular web page. Keyword density should range between 2 and 8%. To determine your keyword density on a given page, divide the number of times your keyword appears by the total word count of the page.
3. Use proper page formatting. Search engines love to see emphasis. You can identify your keywords with specialized tags such as title tags (h1, h2, etc.) and properly formatted text. Be sure to bold, italicize, and underline your keywords at least once on the page you are trying to optimize.
4. Generate links to your website through article marketing and link building activities. Submit original content to article directories and authoritative sites in order to generate back links. When a third party website links to your site, search engines take notice – improving your overall search result placements. Build as many back links as you can.
5. Obtain listings in Web directories. Large directories like the Yahoo! Directory, DMOZ and others are important to improving your overall search results. Many websites use these directories to display websites when users search on a particular term. If you're not included in the directory, your website may never appear as a search result option.
6. Use social bookmarks to generate inbound links. By bookmarking your website or webpage on popular social bookmarking sites, such as Reddit, Digg, or Del.icio.us, web browsers are pointed to your website and valuable links are created. This strategy is essential for making users aware of your content and generating interest. Many sites will provide links to valuable content.
7. Be persistent. By applying search engine optimization techniques on a regular basis, you're sure to improve your Google placements. The key however is to remain vigilant and continuously apply seo even when you've achieved a number one ranking. Do so ensures that you will remain in the top position.
These strategies are important for anyone interested in improving search results for their website. Begin any search engine optimization effort with a thorough review of your website's strengths and weaknesses. Once you've identified areas for improvement, separated into on-page areas and off-page areas, you're ready to be promoting your website.