PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — An online portal designed to help Maine’s hospitality and tourism businesses obtain grants crashed on Thursday, the day it was scheduled to start taking applications.
Business owners reported problems with the portal after it opened at 9 a.m., the Portland Press Herald reported. The Maine Department of Economic and Community Development shut down the application less than two hours after it opened.
The portal will be open for applications again starting Friday morning, the department said.
The tool allows businesses to apply for up to $20,000 in grants as part of a $40 million aid program announced by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills earlier in the week.
In other virus news in Maine:
The surge of COVID-19 is continuing in Maine with the daily number of coronavirus cases topping 300 for the first time Thursday.
One million Debenhams customers were stuck in huge virtual queues on Tuesday after the shop offered 70% off in a ‘fire sale’.
The department store chain has become the latest high street casualty and will be liquidated in the New Year after rescue talks with JD Sport fell through.
The 242-year-old company said its administrators have ‘regretfully’ decided to start winding down operations in a move that puts 12,000 jobs at risk.
Debenhams has said it will open its 124 stores with a fire sale of its stock on Wednesday, when retailers will be allowed to reopen for the first time since the national lockdown was introduced on November 5.
Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live
The sale has already started online, with the website crashing this morning due to high volumes of traffic.
From delivery delays to breaking the internet, the launch of the PlayStation 5 has left some gamers disappointed.
The PS5 has been described as a “new era for gaming” by maker Sony, with the new system promising higher-quality graphics and faster loading times.
But demand for the new PlayStation has meant almost every website selling the console crashed at some point, leaving many people unable to actually buy the PS5 on its release day.
Shops such as John Lewis, Amazon and Tesco started selling the new PlayStation online from Thursday morning with customers able to buy the machine for a short time until the websites stopped working. Each retailer is now listing the console as ‘out of stock’.
Were you lucky enough to un-box a brand new PlayStation 5 today? Let us know in the comments.
(Bloomberg) — Locked down shoppers have taken less than a week to snap up all Naked Wines Plc’s U.K. Christmas offers, crashing the retailer’s website in the process.
Promotional packs containing items such as bottles of wine and olive oil sold out in about three to four days, according to Chief Financial Officer and U.K. Managing Director James Crawford. In a normal year, this would have taken two or three weeks, he said. Such was the demand, the Naked Wines website went down for about 40 minutes on Nov. 12.
“People are expecting to be buying online,” Crawford said in an interview after Naked Wines reported first-half results and increased its forecast of full-year sales growth. “They know that it’s going to be challenging because of courier and warehouse capacity and all of that stuff. And actually they’re making sure that they get their order in early.”
New York’s globally beloved bookstore The Strand announced they’ve seen a 70 percent drop in revenue from COVID, and since, their website has crashed. It appears the blank white web page may come after readers everywhere tried to show support for the business in their time of need.
Newsweek noticed the site was down shortly after the announcement by the Strand Book Store on Instagram and Twitter, which asked for readers to purchase store merchandise in hopes of upping revenue.
The iPhone 12 launch last week was met with mixed opinions when Apple finally confirmed what rumours have hinted about for the past several months. Similar to what it did for the Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 6, all four of its latest handset models will ship without a charger. Moreover, the EarPods are likewise not included. This reportedly left most consumers dismayed, but it seems the demand for the new devices say otherwise as the official website went down shortly after preorders started.
According to the manufacturer, its decision to omit the aforementioned accessories was in line with an initiative that aims to help the environment. They argued that most buyers will likely have spare chargers or earphones from their older devices.
However, this was met with criticism after tech industry analysts pointed out that users who are new to Apple’s ecosystem will be forced to purchase